Have you ever felt the tug inside your heart that you were meant for more?
God is specifically calling you, right now, right where you are. You were designed to be a leader within your work, your community, your family and within your own personal life. You were created to be a servant leader.
So how do you go about becoming the servant leader that God created you to be? It starts by doing.
It’s not like studying history to simply learn facts. It’s more like learning to swim or ride a bike – it is an applied discipline. You have to do it to learn it.
That means you will have just as many mistakes as you will have wins.
That is why you need to develop a system that will help you continue the momentum towards your desired leadership state. Here are the steps to focus on along the way:
• Prayer: Start with daily prayer. You will find that having Jesus on your team will make it a successful and significant journey.
• Study & Reflection: Make study and reflection a regular part of your life. We live in a hectic and demanding time. If you expect to “find time” to learn to lead Jesus’ way, the affairs and demands of the day will overwhelm your good intentions. Don’t find time; make time.
• Accountability: Find an accountability partner or group to assist you on the journey. Building in systems of accountability will drastically increase the odds of you moving in your desired direction of servant leadership.
• Teaching: Move to a teaching mode as quickly as possible. Send out daily emails, texts or tweets that are reminders of servant leadership to benefit others within your sphere of influence. This will help you just as much as those seeing the messages.
• Get Feedback: Ask for feedback from others. Do they see you becoming a better listener? A better encourager? Are you more focused on improving performance? Are you someone that can consistently be trusted? Are you modeling the desired values?
• Seek Improvement: Make course correction based on the feedback. As people see you reacting with action to their suggestions they will be that much more open to providing you with honest answers which will help you accelerate your progress towards leading Jesus’ way.
Your success as a servant leader hinges on your commitment to learning. Draw on experiences from great leaders that you have worked for or with. Seek out servant leader mentors as well. You will also want to seek other sources to learn from on your own.
To assist you on your journey, I’ve written a book, Leading Jesus’ Way which will be formally released on September 22nd. I encourage you to order a copy to help give you a road-map for success. I also invite you to join us for our launch party if you are able to.
When you learn to lead Jesus’ way you discover ways to be God’s hands and feet and voice on Earth. You will also make a positive impact with your work, with your relationships and in the world. What will you commit to doing to becoming the leader that God created you to be?
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:10-11