Kim and I have been enjoying a fabulous week in Big Sky, Montana. What a great place to rejuvenate your mind, body, and spirit! Big Sky is truly God’s creation at its finest. The people of the community are welcoming, there are numerous hiking trails to explore and get exercise, and many more great attractions to enjoy.
While in Big Sky, I also took the time to read an excellent book by Chip Ingram, “Good to Great in God’s Eyes”. In this book Chip uses the foundation of Jim Collin’s book Good to Great, but instead of great businesses he focuses on the ten practices of great Christians. I found that many of the practices Chip mentions could be attributed to great servant leaders as well.
One in particular resonated for me this week while spending time away from home and work in Big Sky. The practice is to “Enjoy Great Moments”. In other words insure that you have proper balance in your life, and have a good time. It is actually a command from God to enjoy your life. Proverbs 17:22 “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones”.
Too often we take things of the world too seriously and we get caught up being a workaholic, a perfectionist, never being able to say no, and never feeling like we are getting as much done as we should. When this happens we are not at our best for those people we serve.
Great servant leaders get intentional about maintaining proper balance in their life, and enjoying the ride along the way. This is the best model we could provide for those people that we are serving.
A few ways that I find to be helpful to be intentional and serious about enjoying life and having fun would include:
- Slow Down – I find it important to humble myself, take a deep breath and focus on Psalm 46:10 – “Be still, and know that I am God”.
- Simplify Life – Realize “No” is an option; Ask for help; Appreciate what I have; Learn the meaning of enough; Keep it simple
- Look around at God’s Creation – Take it all in! Bask in the wonders that God has created and give him thanks for the blessings He provides.
- Truly value the friends and relationships in my life – Enjoy time with them!
- Plan time for enjoyment – Schedule time each week, month, and quarter to do fun things!
I am thankful that God has provided great authors like Chip Ingram and great places in the world like Big Sky to step back and rejuvenate, and maintain a great balance in life, so that I can do a better job of serving those within my sphere of influence.
What are you doing to insure great balance in your life so you can be the best for the people that you serve?