I hope you all had a fabulous Independence Day Weekend and took some time to rejuvenate. This weekend was just what the doctored ordered for me! I have been running pretty hard, and was starting to feel it. I have found it important to intentionally schedule some time in my schedule to re-group and grab some time to catch up on rest and relaxation time.
With the 4th of July landing on a Friday this year, I found this weekend as the perfect opportunity to re-charge my battery.
There are lots of benefits derived from getting sufficient rest and relaxation. Research shows that if you get the proper amount of sleep (eight hours a night), your alertness, productivity, creativity, and general health may all be enhanced.
I have found the following benefits of rest and relaxation:
- Repairs my body – The activities of our body slow down when we sleep, therefore body building cells carry on their recuperative work. When I sleep, nature builds up and repairs me. Sleep is nature’s sweet restorer, which invigorates my tired body, and prepares it for the next day.
- Restores my energy – I often forget that I have a limited amount of energy to expend, and have a tendency to push myself beyond my threshold. It is important to re-fill the tank (think of putting fuel in a car) with the proper amount of rest.
- Better sleep – I got the best consecutive night’s sleep that I have had in a long time this weekend. Relaxation and fresh air clearly enables a more restorative night’s sleep.
- Increases my concentration – Coming out of this 3-Day Weekend in which I intentionally took time to rest and relax with my family, I was totally re-focused on what was important to accomplish on Monday morning.
- I am more efficient – This enhanced focus allows me to be far more efficient on my tasks. I know I will be far more effective for those I serve after a great extended weekend of rest and relaxation.
- It enhances my mood and demeanor – When I get the proper amount of rest and time for relaxation I am much happier and more pleasant to be around.
- Bonus – I am fulfilled in getting to spend time with my family – There is nothing better than focused time with my granddaughter who is now 7 months old, my children and their spouse / girlfriend who are just fabulous to be around, and my wonderful wife who is my best friend! Times with my family definitely fill my tank!
I feel God desires us to get the proper amount of rest and relaxation. It is a gift he provides. We need to be sure to not neglect that gift.
“My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Exodus 33:14
The key is to not wait for a holiday weekend to fill your tank. It is imperative to build this time for rest and relaxation into our normal schedules so that it doesn’t take three days for a fill-up. I know that it is easier said than done, but I wanted to write about this to re-focus myself in this area, as well as encourage all of you to intentionally focus on getting the proper amount of rest and relaxation as a matter of course throughout your weekly schedules.
What do you find as effective in making this a practice?
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28